Monday, August 16, 2010

Ricky Sta. Ana Sucks

To those planning to get a new tattoo, the next thing after the "design" is the "artist". For most Pinoys who can afford, and are willing to pay more money just to make sure that they get beautiful tattoos, our first question is, "Who is the top tattoo artist in the country?" 

We have money? We surely have computers...and internet. So we use Google to look for our artist. Bang! Ricky Sta Ana's name appear. We start to think, who is he? We do more research. We read more articles. We find out he's got several tattoo shops across the metro and is very popular. We download more of his works trying to convince ourselves that he is indeed a good artist just like what people say. We look in to his website. We find out he's in the business for ten years. He has won numerous awards, even from international competition. We find out he is the president of PHILTAG, it's the Philippines Tattoo Artist Guild, who doesn't even have a decent working website. We then learned he's not joining competitions anymore. He, is in fact, judging them. Very impressive.

We pay him a visit to one of his tattoo shops, and got impressed even more. Pictures of celebrities getting a tattoo from him are all overrrr. JUST ALL OVER!! Damn! He is good.

So we make the decision. He is my artist!

FUUUUUUUCCK! You just made the worst decision in your life only expensive laser procedures can reverse!

Ricky Sta. Ana has got to be the most overrated tattoo artist in the Philippines. Yeah, sure. He's the president of PHILTAG, which by the way is  now torn apart due to his arrogance. But really, I don't give a shit. At first, I didn't think that this PHILTAG thing will have something to do with his work. I was goddamn wrong.

If only I knew that him being late for two freakin hours for our appointment was a bad omen, I would have walked out and never looked back. But nooooo, I fuckin waited for him because I thought that someone would have not gained so much popularity and recognition from people if he was bad at what he does. He must be awesome. HE SHOULD BE AWESOME! He is worth the wait! PUTANGINA. NAKAKAMATAY ANG MALING AKALA, BUTI BUHAY PA AKO.

I wanted a very simple tattoo. I brought my printed material. All he needed to do is follow the lines the stencil  has made on my body. But I guess that was so goddamn easy that he neglected to do it. The lines are not even and some strokes are too deep that the ink has bled under my skin. I wanted a simple shape, which turned out to be uneven. ALL OF THEM. Sa tagalog, hindi pantay-pantay, lagpas-lagpas lahat ng mga linya. May makapal, may manipis. PANGEEEEET TALAGA! PUTAAAAAAAA!

It looks as if my four-year-old nephew was given a tattoo machine and drew on my body. I would have been happy if that was the case. My tattoo would have had A very meaningful meaning.

And no, I refuse to post my tat's picture. Ricky Sta. Ana, not only popular, but has lots of connections. I reckon he can be dangerous. So no.

So I went to three different tattoo artists to have my ugly tattoo checked. I want a re-do of course. You know what the three artists said to me? MORE AND MORE PEOPLE ARE COMING TO THEIR SHOPS TO HAVE THEIR TATTOOES REDONE. COMMON DENOMINATOR? ALL ORIGINALLY DONE BY MASTER RICKY STA.ANA.

Oo, totoong magaling sya. At hindi ko kinukwestyon yun. Naniniwala pa rin ako na hindi sya sisikat ng ganyang kasikat kung hindi sya totoong magaling. Pero NOON yun. Hindi na ngayon. Mukha syang tamad sa mga gawa nya. Walang gana. Wala nang passion. Parang gusto na lang kumita. Parang ang mahalaga na lang ay yung mga tattoo sa artista na kung san makakapagpicture sya at madagdagan ang  nakapako sa dingding ng mga shop nya. Pero sa mga ordinaryong tattoo na hindi nya pakikinabangan ang picture? Pabara-bara na. 

I'm voicing this out para sa mga balak magpatattoo sa kanya. Don't take the risk. It's your skin anyway.

I have mine re-done by another artist who is very professional and very good by the way. I will never commit that mistake of running to SkinWorkz Tattoo and Body Piercing again.


12 comments:

  1. Sir any recommendation kung san nyo pinaretoke ung tattoo nyo?Thanks for the blog.Sana lahat ng pinoy ay di mabulag sa maling akala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, try emao, or joel rocafort na lang..
    http://tattoo-shops-in-the-philippines.blogspot.ca/2012/07/emao-clemen.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a personal attack, no basis on the allegations and accusations. let's be rational, put down facts and we could analyze. Saying shitty things about someone and wanting people to believe you without any sort of basis can be perceived as something not believable. Also, beauty is relative, what doesn't look good to you may be for me. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking as someone with a Ricky Sta Anna tattoo, I have to say I've been very pleased with him and his work, and now, four years later, people still compliment my tattoo. Seems a bit sad to make a blog because you're not happy with your tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir ask ko lang po 3times na po aq nag patattoo after mag balat lagengalabo ung kinakalabasan ganun po ba talaga pag acidic tnx .. sana po masagot ung tanong ko God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew ricky since he is just starting sa business. shop nya sa cartimar pa..he is not yet the president of PHILTAG. Sya na naging artist ko from then on.. Till now..kahit 13yrs na ang tattoo ko the color and beauty never fades..Kakapagawa ko lang ng full arm sleeves sa kanya and to be honest even mga foreigners they approach me and ask who my artist is.. and you know what he even did not quote me ng sobrang mahal not like the others na 3x ang presyo.. I think this blog was created for personal reason…. Sure na lies ito..kc kahit lasing si Ricky??? I know kasi pag napapa ink ako sa kanya mga 11pm na ng gabi kasi pinapaclose na nya ang shop dahil matagal ang tattoo ko.. and he drinks with his buddy.. but still he does work very well. Papayag ba ako masira ang balat ko??? First of all if you are not satisfied with the result??? The retouch is for free you can always go back.. and Second?? Why are you afraid of posting your tattoo na sinsabi mo na gawa nya if for real naman na gawa nya and you are right?... this is blog is bullshit.. Whatever you do? Unless you show some proof? No one will ever believe you.. so get a life and go find better things to do rather than wreck someone else reputation..

    ReplyDelete
  7. sana may picture nung tattoo na gawa ni ricky...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was scheduled in his branch at cartimar, i went there 30 mins early from my orig appointment. I've waited for 2 effin hours tapos pagdating nya di nya daw magagawa ng tattoo ko kasi may pupuntahan pa sya so he endorsed me to one of his artist. Edi syempre na-defeat na yung purpose ko na magpa tattoo sa kanya na dream ko pa sana syempre famous sya but he's very unprofessional!!!! *just saying*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hindi makakakuha ng sponsors yan at lalong hindi tatagal sa industry yan si Ricky boy kung palpak. Sobrang kupal lang talaga siguro kayo kaya ganun. Kahit naman kanino kung kups ka kukupsin ka din.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sus you are lying! Ricky Sta Ana was a great tattoo artist!

    ReplyDelete